Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

I'm Choosing to Laugh...

So Uncle calls me last night to report the latest...

    Apparently, Granny decided to go home. 
The nursing home called Uncle and asked him if he truly has Guardianship over my Granny..He says he does, and they tell him that my Granny has packed up all of her things and called a cab to take her home.  She has her bags and is waiting by the front door for the cab.. 

    That morning when she got up, she decided it was time for her to go home.. (she doesn't get to decide this..)  When the nurses tried to explain this to her, she 'got ugly with them' and 'gave them a talking to', (guessing this is what the nurses told Uncle).  She even got belligerent and tried to KICK someone!!

OMG!!

     The Social Worker Man asked Uncle how he felt about sedation... Uncle said, 'Under the circumstances,  He agrees..and they hang up..

     Then, not sure how long it was, the nursing home calls Uncle again.  This time they tell him that Granny wants to speak to him.. she has a phone in her room, so not sure why she wanted to call on their phone- unless she was giving them a hard time, again..So, then she tells Uncle that 'She's not mad or anything, they just won't let her go home..'  and 'They don't understand that she has talked to her dr and he told her she can go home'.. She has told the nurses the same thing..Now, we know that's not true..she can't leave without someone signing her out and she can't sign herself out..So the nurses tell her they will call her dr and talk to him and that pacifies her and she heads back to her room.. They tell Uncle the same thing..and so he puts a call into the dr, just to be sure..aaaand the dr doesn't return anybody's calls because he has decided to take the afternoon off and has left his office..

     Then, yesterday afternoon Uncle gets another phone call from Granny.. This time she wants to know how to unplug her phone because she is packing and needs to take her phone, too.. By now, the nurses know that she can't leave, and he knows they know this, so he goes on and tells her how to unplug the phone..because he knows that she isn't really listening to him and won't be able to figure it out.. I realize that sounds mean, but if it will pacify her, then why not??

and really, I'm thinking that 'creating your own reality' may not be such a bad thing... I feel  you have to do what you have to do to survive.. and if this is what she has to do to survive in this place? I'm not sure I can blame her...



     Dementia pretty much sucks in my book...I know this will only get worse, and will not ever get any better, so I can cry and be sad for her, or I can laugh and be impressed with her cunning ability to keep everyone on their toes..
   
    Actually, She makes me a little bit proud knowing that she's going down fighting..I still want to be just like her..
 
This is why today, I'm choosing to laugh...


and I have been flossing...
  

No comments:

Post a Comment